Hello lovelies and Happy Lundi Gras, the day before Mardi Gras! This past week has been a whirlwind of trying to soothe an irritable, uncomfortable baby and trying to keep my sanity. We have started the babe on medicine for his reflux, which will hopefully give him some relief and help get things back to normal. I’ve been watching The Great British Baking Show when I get the chance to glance at the tv, and it’s been making my baking self want to bake! The hardest part of that is finding time since I’ve been having my hands full with the little.
With Valentine’s Day being this week and Mardi Gras down in New Orleans, I figured I would start this week off with a sweet start (especially after I dropped almost a whole can of formula powder this morning).
I love sugar cookies! They’re simple and sweet and just the thing you need for a little warm happiness. But make those sugar cookies with brown sugar, and it’s a whole other level of goodness.
These cookies are simple and easy to make and take no time to bake in the oven. The perfect sweet treat for people who can’t find the time to bake (like me), or who want to put their amateur baking skills to the test. They’ll also make you feel warm and fuzzy and full of sweet happiness once you take a bite!
Chewy Brown Sugar Cookies
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 and 1/2 tsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup melted coconut oil*
- 1 and 1/4 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar, for rolling
- In a large bowl, mix together flour, cornstarch, cinnamon and salt. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, melt coconut milk and mix with brown sugar. Use fingers to break up any lumps from brown sugar.
- Whisk egg and vanilla into the brown sugar and coconut oil mixture.
- Poor the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Mix well using spatula or big spoon. Cover dough and set in fridge for 2 hours or up to 3 days.
- Take dough out of the fridge and let sit for 10 minutes or until room temperature. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Pour sugar into a bowl. Roll dough into round balls about a tablespoon in size, then roll them in the sugar.
- Place dough about 2 inches apart on lined baking sheets.
- Bake 8-9 minutes. Remove from oven and gently press the top of the cookies so that cracks form.
- Place back into oven for 4 minutes.
- Remove cookies from oven and allow to cook on cookie sheet so they cont nice to bake. Cookies will appear to be soft and squishy still when taken out of the oven.
- Cookies will stay fresh, covered at room temperature for up to one week.
* coconut oil can be replaced with unsalted butter using the same amount of butter. Butter must be melted before combining with brown sugar.
These are a perfect little something to make for your hunny this Valley-tine’s Day or just something sweet to keep all for yourself!